Sunday, June 15, 2008

Getting Ready for Science Camp!

When Abbey first mentioned the science camp, I was excited. I have always wanted to attend something like this as a kid. When I was in eighth grade, I went to a camp for geometry and a camp for meteorology in Oklahoma, and I knew that I was meant for this type of camp. Now that I get to set up a science, I included every experiment that I wish I did as a kid.

For the first day, I will ask the kids to make a baking soda-vinegar volcano. When I was trying out the experiment, I realized that it would be great if I asked the kids to create their unique volcano island. The dough that we made is like play dough. I designed my island to include things like cars, animals, and even aliens. I think that science can be creative as well. On Tuesday, I planned a slime making session for everyone. When you are a kid, you have to do something with the slimy stuff. When I made the slime, it was more like a glubber. It was not very stretchy. Hopefully, the kids will still like it. On Wednesday and Thursday, two other BNs will take over the class, and I will just be a helper. One thing that I really wanted to do is make root beer with dry ice. I did not know how difficult was it was to obtain dry ice. I called several places and had them delievered to the school. However, they only deliver the dry ice on Tuesday rather on the day that we make ice cream. If I waited, the dry ice would sublime completely by the time I need to use it. So I have to do change my schedule. No root beer floats, but at least we will see an awesome example of Henry’s law.

Some of other BNs thought we should introduce some famous scientists to the students. I thought that it was an excellent idea, so I gathered three names in Chemistry and I really admire and present them to the kids. They are Louis Pasteur, Marie Curie and Karl Landsteiner. Most people know the first two names, but not the last. Landsteiner was the person who discovered the different blood types and made blood transfusions safe. He won a Nobel Prize, but no one ever seems to know that he helped to save millions of lives. I thought it was a good exposure for the kids. I tried to make each person’s story interesting and easy to read. We will see what the kids say. In addition, I also made a brochure on “careers in chemistry” and “how to become a chemist”. For children in these parts of Carolinas, they rarely meet role models who are scientists. Maybe this camp will expand what they think they can do in the future.

The camp is not without its kinks. When I recruited my volunteers from my fellow BNs, I didn’t want them to just stand around in the classroom listening to my commands at all time. I know that most BNs are ambitious people who want to make their own style known. So I gave each person an experiment for which they can design a class. However, I did not anticipate that some people didn’t want to run a class because they felt like they didn’t know enough. It was a mistake on my part for not telling them exactly what I expected before I asked them to sign up. But all I wanted for them to do was to take that as a challenge, and I have no doubt that they would do a good job. I think this misunderstanding strained one of my relationships with a friend until I apologized.

Apologizing is probably one of the hardest things for me to do because it puts me at such a vulnerable state. For someone who was bullied a kid, I often don’t want to seem weak. But even more, I don’t want other people to feel what I felt: weak and totally at someone else’s command. I do apologize because I know that I was wrong. As hard as it is, I need to admit it and move on. As someone mentioned before, I demand respect. I demand it because I give respect to people. I don’t want to meet someone new, immediately make cynical judgments and pass them off as “honesty.” Ann Frank can teach us a thing or two.

Besides that, I am very excited about the science camp. I have resolved to call it “my science camp,” because I really want the kids to take something away from this camp. I want them to feel like this camp was helpful and fun. I feel extremely fortunate to have my former classmate in Cheraw to help me with this camp.

To be continued...

No comments: