Monday, June 9, 2008

Exercise for a Cause


What could a better way to spend a Saturday than to exercise, help a good cause, and enjoy a free massage and food? After my CCCC meeting on Friday, (which went very well, and I got to make a report too), my scholarship group went up to Winston-Salem to spend the night before the Big Event. Josh Sommer, one of our famous BNs, greeted us as we received our packets for the 5K run. Abbey has been training me for it. The first time we ran for 3 miles in Cheraw, I thought I would die, but with her encouragements, I made it. Running a 5K is a big deal for me. I used to never run. Before I joined JROTC at school, I thought that I couldn’t even run a 1-mile, let alone 3 miles. If the cancer patients like Josh can fight cancer, then I can run a 5K without giving up.

Talia and I started running a bit later than everyone else. We passed a sign that said, “Set up 1mile” when we had not even felt the effect of running. Talia turned to me and said, “If that was one mile, WE should be in the Olympics.” I didn’t know that the track was only 1.5miles, so when I finished one round, I was really confused to see the finish line. In my mind, I was thinking, “No way, there is no way that I finished 3 miles in less than 20 minutes.” Then I realized that I had to run around the tracks again. That made so much more sense. For the rest of the day, I was in a good mood. It must be the endorphins.

Here comes the random part of this blog that does fit with the theme. I have to say that Mrs. Bennett is so great for providing us with different things to do. She introduced me to the Li’s who is another Chinese family in Cheraw. Their son is an alumnus from GSSM class of 1996. It was very nice to speak to another Chinese family in such a small town. Tonight, we were invited to attend a painting class at the Chesterfield Community Center that Mrs. Bennett helped to set up. I simply loved it! It has been a little bit stressful for me lately because I am in charge of making the science camp run smoothly, helping organize a kid’s day, and setting up a mini-research project. I just went all out with my painting. The instructor was saying that we should use dark colors and then work my way to a lighter color. That was all the instruction I needed. Making swirls, and straight streaks on my white board felt really therapeutic. At the end, I realized that all of my paintings were in dark colors. They weren’t bad, but they were a bit dark. When I tried to lighten up my last painting, it just didn’t work. Anyhow, I am really glad that we had the chance to do a little self-expression with paint. Plus, I was impressed with everyone else’s paintings. We were using the same tools, but everyone’s paintings turned out so differently. Matt was obviously inspired by the state park, and several girls just had some amazing splattering of paint.

The End.

No comments: