Monday, June 16, 2008

First day of science camp… Explosion!





Wow, I am amazed at the imagination of kids. Today was the first day of science camp, and I am tired, but extremely glad. After all of the planning, it finally goes into action, and I can’t believe how well the kids enjoyed the activity.

The idea came to me when I saw that the science teacher had lots and lots of salt, oil, vinegar, and baking soda. Hum, I wonder what kind of experiment I can make with those ingredients. Of course, the classical vinegar and baking soda volcano came to my mind. From what the science teacher said, most of these students have never done this classical childhood experiment before!

Even though I have done the baking soda and vinegar experiment, I have never made an actual volcano. When I was trying out the experiment at the apartment, I decided that the dough was the perfect play dough. Instead of just making a volcano, I was inspired by the latest Indiana Jones movie, so I made an alien on the side of the volcano. Then I proceeded to make a little cat or pig thing, a car, and another small volcano island. I realized that the kids could have some fun with the dough and use their imagination to create their own volcano island. I thought that the kids should have a competition to see who can make the coolest island.

At the beginning of my class, I decided to use the song about the definition of chemistry that my friend Betsy and several other GSSM friends had made up in Intro Chemistry in JC’s class. I thought that it would be a great way for us to get a kick-start on the camp. It goes something like this (Sing this to the tune of “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”):

Chemistry is defined as
the science of the materials
of the universe and
the changes that they undergo.
So it’s root, root, root for a fun summer.
Explosions, reaction galore,
For it’s 1, 2, 3 wholes days at the science camp!

I made up the refrain… I am impressed with my lyrical skills. Anyhow, the class started off with me explaining some basics of chemistry. Some of the kids already knew everything, but the majority did not. There were two kids who were entering the 5th grade! This camp was targeting rising 7th and 8th graders. Those two sure have a head start than anyone else in their grade.

While the kids were going to the back to retrieve their materials and making the actual volcano, the classroom atmosphere was similar to a rocking boat in a storm with a thin string attached to the shore. There were definitely a lot of confusion and craziness, but I had a great crew of teachers who went around helping kids to fill up their bottles and constantly cleaning after them. The science teacher was great! I couldn’t have done the class without her. She gave me valuable advices like repeating the instructions after each stage of the experiment. I have learned that kids don’t remember instructions, nor do they read instructions. I have to constantly remind them. I also learned that I have to have my measurements exactly right, or else I have to deal with lots of drippy dough. I have also found out that having extra materials helps a LOT.

Through out the class, I went around to each table to check out what they were doing. I helped out with securing structures on the volcano, and I got to talk to them about their creations. What the kids came up with impressed me quite a bit. They were allowed to use food coloring, so this was very colorful.

One team decided to make an extremely drippy gray and green volcano with inspirations by Dr. Seuss. Another team made a volcano of multiple color patches, which turned out to be very artistic. One team, with a ten-year-old who started to cross pollinate his grandpa’s lilies at the age of five, made an entire house on their volcano, complete with a farm, a tree, a rose bush, a pond and a goat (who, according to the kid, was stuck on the hill as the volcano exploded). One boy made a pig face, while some other boys made several animals and placed one of the animal’s head on the opening of the volcano. Of course, its head was blasted in the “explosion.” Another group made a graveyard with a dough barrier so that in the explosion, the foam could not reach the grave. Another team made a heart on their volcano. I just really enjoyed watching them making these volcanoes. I promise that I will have the photos up as soon as I can.

I think the other teachers enjoyed talking to the kids. When we asked this one kid what he wanted to do when he grows up, he said, “I want to be the founder and CEO of an international bank.” Wow, I am impressed that he has such a big dream. But everything starts with a dream right? If I can’t dream, how I can reach beyond what I think I am able to do? I think all of the kids in the classroom have so much potential. I don’t want them to loose steam as they grow up and enter high school.

The most dramatic moment of that day was when I counted down to the explosion. Everyone had to finish making their volcano and clean up their lab counters before we allowed them to pour the vinegar into the baking soda solution. So here we all are, in the science classroom, everyone had his or her goggles properly placed. In each team, one kid held the vinegar bottle precariously over the opening of the volcano, while the other kid stared intensely at the opening… waiting for something to happen. There was not a single noise in the room. I could feel that the suspense and the heavy breathing in anticipation of something great. I really should have taken a picture. It was classic. Then I yelled, “3, 2, 1, and let it explode!”

The designated vinegar pourer dumped the vinegar in and the bubbles came up as predicted. There were “wooo’s and ahhh’s” all over the room. It made them so happy, which made me glad. Now we have an entire showcase full of volcanoes on the back table. Can’t wait for what tomorrow will bring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah that stuff about repeating instructions to the kids sounds pretty familiar. i've had to learn all of that stuff, too. (not that i've really taken any serious education classes yet; that starts next semester!)

but i'm glad you're planning on putting up pictures, because i think they would be a great addition!